CRYSTAL'S PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
If you’ve read this far, you’re probably curious about what kind of a person I am, so here are some background facts about me:
- I am a proud veteran of the U.S. Army. I served for six years as a Judge Advocate for the Wisconsin Army National Guard. There, I proposed updates to the Wisconsin Code of Military Justice to strengthen the process for prosecuting sexual assault crimes and protecting victims in the service. The updates were adopted by the Wisconsin Legislature and signed into law by the Governor in 2014.
- I received my law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School, where I served on the Wisconsin Law Review and Moot Court Board and interned for the prestigious Wisconsin Innocence Project.
- I went straight into public service after law school, hitting the ground running as a prosecutor and securing a win at my first-ever jury trial only weeks after graduation.
- I was appointed as an Assistant Attorney General with the Wisconsin Department of Justice, where I went on to serve as lead counsel on more than 65 civil and criminal cases in state and federal court.
- My track record includes winning a federal civil rights jury trial and arguing before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- For two years, I served on active duty with the National Guard Bureau in Washington, D.C. as one of the first Regional Special Victims’ Counsel in the nation. During my time at the Pentagon, I launched and managed a multi-state legal aid program for survivors of sexual assault that is still going strong.
- I retired at the rank of captain with an Army Commendation Medal and the American Bar Association’s Military Legal Assistance Award.
- I graduated magna cum laude from UW–Milwaukee’s Lubar School of Business with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
- No stranger to entrepreneurship, I have worked in marketing and cofounded a residential real estate company.
- When I’m not working, I enjoy practicing yoga, traveling to music festivals, and watching true crime documentaries.